20 Mar Freshen Up Your Spring Dining Habits: 5 Items For Your Next Grocery List
Warming weather and blooming flowers are sure signs that Spring is here! Now is the time to take a longer stroll through the produce section of your local grocery store or farmer’s market. You’ll begin to notice a fresher variety of everyone’s favorite seasonal fruits and vegetables. With so many enticing options but only so much room in your budget, fridge, and appetite, it’s hard to decide! We’ve taken it upon ourselves to make your next “A”-list grocery list, rounding up our favorite Spring-to-Summer season produce for you. We even did the extra step in deciding your new cooking ventures by finding some great recipes that let these food items shine.
1. Apricots – You can ripen premature apricots at home. Store them in a paper bag, fold the top over, and leave them at room temperature out of the sun for 2-3 days. Once they’re just right, throw on an apron and bake a batch of Butterscotch and Apricot Crepes.
2. Artichokes – Fresh artichokes will have a tight leaf formation and make a squeaking sound when the leaves are pressed together. Stuff a batch with filling to make these Italian-Style Braised Artichokes.
3. Arugula – Keep your bag of arugula fresh by storing it in the vegetable drawer of your fridge, making sure the leaves are loose in the bag. To best enjoy arugula, toss a fresh salad together, like this Chicken Avocado Salad.
4. Asparagus – Pick out a bunch that are bright and vibrant in their green color, are straight, and have their tips tightly-closed. Also make sure they’re as uniform in thickness as possible so you can get a little fancy with Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus.
5. Avocados – Identifying ripe avocados can be tricky, but the skin should be on the darker side and it should give a firm gentle pressure when tenderly squeezed. You can also let the avocados ripen at home at room temperature if you’re not ready to use them so immediately. Have enough ready so you can make Guacamole Two Ways: Strawberry Jalapeno and Mango.
Now all that’s missing from your shopping list is some Stella Rosa wine! Of course, that should be the number one thing on all your grocery lists, right? Hit the store soon so you can start savoring in the fresh flavors of Spring!
If you like what you see here, be sure to take a peek at our Pinterest for more great recipe ideas.